Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Juniors: Reflect and Re-visit

In college admissions, you have 1000 words at most to convince schools you are worthy of an acceptance letter. Half the battle of a successful sell is applying to the right colleges.

Before you get to fit, you have to know yourself. Start by putting your thoughts on paper that answers the important questions that drive your academic priorities and interests: Who am I? What am I about? How do I learn best? In what type of environment do I thrive? What kind of people do I enjoy being with? What do I do well? What challenges me? Who inspires me?

As you answer these questions, use narrative to demonstrate your growth and personal evolution over time. Also, take inventory of defining moments in your life. Piece together your stories and look for common themes: leadership, discovery, overcoming obstacles, or stepping outside of your comfort zone for example.

Time spent on reflection upon and re-visiting yourself serves a dual purpose of getting you closer to your best-fit school and lays the foundation for next year's college applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment